Friends of the James A. Garfield National Historic Site
The James A. Garfield Alliance is a nonprofit partner of the Conservancy for the Cuyahoga Valley National Park dedicated to supporting the Garfield National Historic Site in Mentor, Ohio.
The group is a Friends group, which seeks to identify and develop relationships with the community, such as schools, businesses, non-profits and public institutions. Together, they help diversify and promote visitation and philanthropy through innovative programming, while forming deep relationships throughout the community.
The primary goals of the Alliance are to increase awareness and engagement with the historic site; to help stimulate economic activity throughout Northeast Ohio; develop unique programming and support local school districts learn about President Garfield’s legacy.
To preserve the legacy of the 20th president by supporting the James A. Garfield National Historic Site through philanthropy and inspiring the community into action.
Some of the Alliance’s current activities include:
- The Garfield historic site currently welcomes nearly 40,000 local and out-of-town visitors each year, providing an annual economic impact of more than $2 million to local restaurants, hotels and job creation.
- The Alliance works with travel and tourism groups, marketing specialists and private businesses to significantly increase regional traffic through the historic site and to expand the economic opportunities the site offers to Northeast Ohio.
- Host private events at the historic site to stimulate local economic development
- Educational programs and curriculum currently are provided to more than 60 schools throughout Lake, Geauga and Cuyahoga counties.
- The Alliance has embarked on an ambitious plan to significantly expand its educational offerings and reach through the development of an innovative new curriculum, coupled with an extensive outreach program.
- The James A. Garfield Alliance continues to grow community engagement, seek strategic partners and raise funds for long-term sustainability of the Alliance.
- In 2021, the Alliance hired a new executive director with extensive experience in philanthropy, fundraising and economic development.
- The Alliance raises funds in part to enhance the experience of the National Park Events and the acquisition of Garfield artifacts to preserve the president’s legacy.
- Other funding contributes to spreading awareness, community engagement and educational opportunities.
- Community outreach
- Social media, digital and web enhancement
- Historic Site promotion and marketing
- Educational and school engagement
- Partnership creation
- Christmas décor – December 2021
- President’s Day — TBD Feb. 21, 2022
- Easter Egg Roll — April 18, 2022
- Summer Concerts
- Edgar Allan Poe Reading – Oct 2022
- Host Corporate and Club Meetings
- Host Corporate and Club Tours
- Private meetings and tours
We know we can’t do this alone, so we need your help. The James A. Garfield Alliance continues to grow community engagement, seeking strategic partners and raising funds for long-term sustainability.
We know we can’t do this alone, so we need your help!